- 1 How can I change my name legally in Canada?
- 2 Is it illegal to change your last name in Canada?
- 3 How do I change my last name with Service Canada?
- 4 How hard is it to change your last name?
- 5 How much does it cost to change your name in Canada?
- 6 Can I use my husband’s last name without legally changing it?
- 7 Does your last name automatically change after marriage?
- 8 Where do I start to change my last name?
- 9 What is a good reason to change your name?
- 10 Can I change my SIN number?
- 11 How much does it cost to legally change your last name in Ontario?
- 12 Will changing my name affect my taxes?
- 13 Can you use a different name without legally changing it?
- 14 How long after you get married do you have to change your last name?
- 15 How do I officially change my name?
How can I change my name legally in Canada?
How to apply
- Complete the Application for Change of Name form.
- Gather the supporting documents.
- Get fingerprints.
- Provide a criminal record check or police information check.
- Find any existing birth certificates.
- Submit the application form.
- Change of Name certificates.
- Birth certificates.
Is it illegal to change your last name in Canada?
Provincial law in Quebec forbids a woman from taking her husband’s surname after marriage. Today, women cannot legally change their surname after marriage, but both men and women can accept the other’s surname for social and colloquial purposes.
How do I change my last name with Service Canada?
Write a letter with the following:
- original or certified true copy of one of the following documents: a name change certificate from a provincial/territorial vital statistics department. a court order issued under an act on change of name.
- your old and new names.
- your social insurance number.
- your signature.
How hard is it to change your last name?
It is not difficult to change your name in California. In some cases, you no longer need a court order.
How much does it cost to change your name in Canada?
|Adult (19 years of age or older) without dependent child (18 years old or younger)||$137|
|Adult (19 years of age or older) with dependent child (18 years old or younger)||$137 + $27 per child|
|Child (18 years of age or younger)||$137 for first or only child $27 per additional child|
Can I use my husband’s last name without legally changing it?
Anyone is free to keep their own name, hyphenate their name with a spouse’s name, take their spouse’s name, or come up with a completely different name altogether. As long as the name change isn’t done criminally or fraudulently, any of these options would constitute a legal name change.
Does your last name automatically change after marriage?
Since your name does not change automatically when you get married, you have to make sure you follow all the necessary legal steps to changing your name after the wedding.
Where do I start to change my last name?
It’s time to officially change your last name!
- Get Your Marriage License and Certified Copies.
- Update Your Social Security Card.
- Get a New Driver’s License.
- Get a New Passport and Travel Documents.
- Change the Name on Your Bank Accounts.
- Change the Name on Your Credit Cards.
What is a good reason to change your name?
to separate yourself from a particular person or a time or event in your life. to stop a former partner finding you. to anglicise a foreign name, that is — to change the form or spelling to make it more understandable for English speakers. to de-anglicise a name that has been anglicised in the past.
Can I change my SIN number?
You can ask for a new SIN only if you can prove that your SIN was used fraudulently. However, getting a new SIN will not necessarily protect you from fraud or identity theft. This means that another person has used your SIN for employment purposes or to receive other taxable income.
How much does it cost to legally change your last name in Ontario?
Cost. $22 – when submitted with a parent’s name change application. If the child’s name change is approved, you will get a change of name certificate.
Will changing my name affect my taxes?
Does a name change affect my taxes? Yes, your identification information must match your W-2 information, and these must match the SSA information. If for any reason this information doesn’t all match, processing of your tax return may be delayed while you update your information.
Can you use a different name without legally changing it?
A: You will have to ask the court for special permission to get the name change without letting the other parent know. To do this, the judge will ask you to look for the other parent, and you have to look as hard as possible, asking friends and family and looking up public records.
How long after you get married do you have to change your last name?
In most U.S. states, it takes 2-8 weeks to legally change your name after your wedding. In Connecticut, it usually just takes 3-5 weeks, while in Colorado and Florida, the timeline for changing your name after marriage is anywhere from 4-5 months.
How do I officially change my name?
Steps to Legally Change Your Name
- Petition to change your name by filling out a name change form, an order to show cause for legally changing your name, and a decree to legally change your name.
- Take these forms to the court clerk and file them along with your state’s required filing fees.